In May 1951, the Jilin Province Government approved the establishment of the Jilin Province Museum, which was completed in December and officially opened at the 12thof Bay Road，Jilin City on January 27, 1952 .
In September 1954, the Jilin Province Museum moved to the Puppet Palace of Changchun City with the provincial government.
In 1955，the main business units of Jilin Province Museum moved to the 7thof Xi'an Road, Changchun.
In July 1964,the Museum of Jilin province and the Puppet Palace worked under one roof, which consisted of seven agencies, staff of 112.
In December 1978, the Revolution History department separated alone, and turned into the Jilin Province Revolutionary Museum which was Located at the 7thof Xi'an Road, Changchun. Jilin Province Museum all returned to the Puppet Palace.
In 1982, the Preparatory Office of the Puppet Palace exhibition hall separated from the museum, and turned into the Puppet Palace exhibition hall. Jilin Province Museum office was in the Tongde Hall etc, which was located at the east side of the Puppet Palace.
In 1983, the archaeological team separated from the museum, and turned into the Archaeological Institute of Jilin Province.
In May 1987, Natural History department separated from the museum, and turned into Jilin Province Museum of Natural History. Since then, Jilin Province Museum was formed basically.
In September 2003, Jilin Province Museum formed at the basis of the quondam Jilin Provincial Museum and the Jilin Provincial Modern and Contemporary History Museum.
On May 8, 2007, the new Jilin Province Museum was founded, which located in the Jingyue economic development zone, Changchun.